At the practice of Dr. Eric Wiitala, we know that you love your smile and want to keep your natural teeth as long as possible. To keep the smile looking beautiful and free from cavities and periodontal disease, it is essential that you care for your smile every day. With the help of our team, we can educate you on how to keep problems such as decay from negatively impacting your oral health and wellness.
What is dental decay?
Also known as cavities, these areas of decay can cause significant damage to the smile. In fact, cavities that are not properly diagnosed can become a bigger issue, resulting in the need for future extractions of teeth where damage is so severe. Patients who have large cavities in the smile may experience:
• Discomfort eating and drinking
• Spontaneous and random pain
• Severe toothaches
• Increased tooth sensitivity
• Discoloration of a tooth, including black or brown stains
• Tooth pain when biting down
These symptoms often indicate a dental problem such as cavities that needs to be evaluated by a dentist as soon as possible. When patients get an early diagnosis of cavities, they can then seek solutions to treat them. This includes the placement of a dental filling, which is the most common fix for these issues.
How can you prevent cavities?
There are many ways in which patients can not only prevent cavities, but keep their smile healthy and free from other concerns such as periodontal disease. Prevention includes:
• Good oral hygiene habits, including brushing and flossing after every meal when possible
• Visiting the dentist every six months for a professional cleaning and thorough evaluation
• Contacting the dentist as soon as any changes occur in the function, health, or appearance of the teeth
Learn more about preventing cavities from Dr. Eric Wiitala
Scottsdale, AZ area patients who are interested in preventive care are welcome to connect with Dr. Eric Wiitala and his team by calling (480) 657-6981 and visiting the practice at 9755 North 90th Street. We are here to help new and existing patients with their oral health care needs, including general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry solutions.