Brighten Your Smile with Professional Whitening
We all like our coffee in the morning and a little red wine at night. But our teeth become stained and discolored. Even the process of natural aging darkens our teeth. Are we supposed to skip all the fun drinks and foods like raspberries and chocolate? No, teeth whitening in Scottsdale from Dr. Wiitala can get you back the bright white smile you want. Eric Wiitala DDS offers a safe and effective way to get that white smile. By applying safe bleach to the front surface of your teeth, we can dramatically improve the color of teeth. We offer several options to bleach your teeth from 30 minutes in-office procedures, to custom take-home trays that you do at your leisure.
How does teeth whitening work?
Hydrogen peroxide has the ability to penetrate the tooth enamel, which is somewhat porous. Once it penetrates the enamel, the peroxide breaks down the stain. Peroxide can also break down stains in the dentin layer of the teeth, but it takes longer.
Benefits of teeth whitening
You could phrase that question to ask, “What is the benefit of confidence?” A bright white smile can give you a boost of confidence when you’re dealing with other people. In a study by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 48 percent of people say a person’s smile is the most memorable feature they remember when meeting someone new.
As we age and with the stains that occur with drinking coffee, red wine, even eating raspberries, our teeth can become dingy and dull. Our various whitening options, whether in-office or at home, whiten your teeth by many shades and make them bright, white, and something to smile about.
What is the best way to whiten my teeth?
That depends on your preferences. Some people like to come in and have either our Boost or GLO in-office treatments. They’re in and out in an hour, leaving with teeth that are up to five shades whiter than when they came in. Other people prefer to use our at-home whitening program. We make custom trays for your teeth, and then you put the gel in the trays and wear them while watching TV or reading for 30 minutes each day, usually for two weeks.
Ask us about our whitening options, and we’ll help you decide the best option.
What is Boost Teeth Whitening?
Opalescence Boost is the most powerful chemically activated teeth whitening option available. First, we protect your gums and lips. Then we apply the Boost hydrogen peroxide bleaching solution onto your teeth, painting it on by hand. We activate the gel with a mercury metal halide light; this opens the pores in the enamel of your teeth to allow the bleaching agent to penetrate more deeply. We then remove the gel and repeat the process three more times in about one hour. Your teeth will then be several shades whiter.
What is GLO Teeth Whitening?
GLO is a new in-office teeth whitening option at Dr. Wiitala’s. GLO uses a mouthpiece that the patient places in his or her mouth. The mouthpiece delivers LED light and heat to activate the GLO professional-grade whitening gel. It whitens teeth several shades in just one hour.
Will whitening work on my teeth?
- Coffee, soda, tea, and certain foods
- Tobacco use
- Poor home hygiene
The teeth can also become discolored by trauma, gum disease or tooth infection, medications such as tetracycline, and fluorosis (excessive use of fluoride). When this is the cause of your tooth discoloration, topical whitening solutions don’t work. In these cases, Dr. Wiitala may recommend porcelain veneers, bonding, or dental crowns to cover the staining.
Very friendly and professional. Dr. Wiitala is knowlegable and a great communicator. His staff is terrific and its just a very well run operation. – J. G. (Verified Patient)
Frequently Asked Questions about Teeth Whitening
How effective is teeth whitening?
- The degree of whitening that can be achieved varies by the patient. However, all of the whitening options we use at Dr. Wiitala’s are proven to be effective for removing stains and whitening teeth. The goal is to bring your teeth back to their natural whiteness.
How long will my whitening results last?
- This depends on your eating and drinking habits, along with your age and, to a degree, your genes. Some people have enamel that is more porous (and prone to accumulating stains) than others. Generally, most of our patients expect their teeth to stay white for about a year. Touch-ups will prolong your results.
Is there a follow-up after teeth whitening?
- If you selected at-home whitening, you can simply get more of the whitening gel from our office and touch up your teeth as you like moving forward. If you had Boost or GLO in-office treatments, we provide home touch-up materials to keep your teeth as white as possible for as long as possible.
Does whitening cause tooth sensitivity?
- Whitening can make the teeth a little more sensitive for a brief period of time after the application, but that passes quickly. If you have particularly sensitive teeth, be sure to tell us because we can desensitize your teeth before we perform the whitening.
Can whitening damage my teeth?
- No. There are no recorded instances of irreversible or structural damage caused by tooth whitening. Any effects, such as sensitivity, are temporary.
How much does teeth whitening cost?
- With our different teeth whitening options, you can find the method and price that fit your needs. Dr. Wiitala has options ranging from $199 – $400.
How long is a teeth whitening appointment with Dr. Wiitala?
- In-office teeth whitening usually takes about an hour. We can make custom whitening trays in as little as 15 min.
Don’t wait to brighten your smile! Contact Dr. Wiitala Today!
To schedule a teeth whitening session at our Scottsdale office, call (480) 657-6981 or submit an appointment request form. You can also read more about the various services we offer by visiting Eric Wiitala, DDS’s blog! Our practice looks forward to serving you.